Frequently Asked Questions

Here you will find a list of some of the more frequenty asked questions and there answers.
What do I need before I can learn to drive?
You must acquire a Provisional Licence You can apply for a Provisional Licence online or you can get a D1 form from the post office, fill it in send it along with the relevant documents to the DVLA.
What will I need to bring to my first lesson?
You will need your photo licence, or your licence and another form of ID for an old style licence. If you wear glasses you will need to bring them with you, you will also need to wear comfortable footwear not boots or flip-flops.
Do I need to pass my Theory Test before I have driving lessons?
No, most pupils combine the Theory study with lessons as a preferred way of learning. However some pupils prefer to study and pass the Theory Test before starting driving lessons as they feel better prepared for the roads. You can contact me if you are unsure and discuss what is best for you advice before you start either.
What do I need to take to my Theory and Hazard Perception Test?
You will need your photo licence, You will also need the letter the DSA sent inviting you to your test. Glasses if you need them and suitable footware. Do not forget, no licence, no Test!
Am I able to have driving lessons in my own/family or friends car?
Under certain circumstances, customers may want to receive lessons in their own/family vehicle. This is a good idea when you are considering using using this car for your Drivering Test. UK Learner is able to offer customers training in their own vehicle, provided the vehicle is registered, roadworthy and comprehensively insured. Prior to any training being conducted in the customer’s vehicle, it must be inspected for it's roadworthiness. The inspection should include, but is not limited to, a check of the following items;
  • the vehicle has a valid MOT.
  • the vehicle is comprehensively insured and the customer’s insurance company is notified that it will be used by a driving instructor to conduct training in.
  • The tyres:
    • are correctly inflated (air pressures must reflect the manufacturer’s recommendation as a minimum).
    • have appropriate levels of tread.
    • are not damaged.
    • L Plates are fitted to both front and back of the vehicle.
  • all indicators, headlights and brake lights are working.
  • seats and seat belts are in good working order and are not damaged or twisted.
  • any loose items in the cabin of the vehicle are stowed in the cargo (boot) area.
  • the windows and interior are clean.
  • the vehicle has sufficient petrol to last the course of the lesson (minimum requirement – a quarter of a tank).
Will I need to book my Practical & Theory Tests myself?
The Practical and Theory Tests are an arrangement between you and the DSA. I can book either Test for you and are happy to provide this service free of charge as it is quick and simple with my experience. This also reduces the chance of you booking a test when I am not available (perhaps already booked on test with another pupil). Of course the free part is us booking your test, the test fee we would collect from you. Please keep in mind that you can never have too many lessons as the more professional training you have then the safer you will become prior to going solo.
Where can I take my Theory and Hazard Perception Test?
You can take these in either Truro or Penzance.
Can I book a two-hour lesson?
  • Yes. And they are recommended for a variety of reasons: From remote locations they are essential.
  • They give you time to practice not only a new subject but subjects previously covered.
  • When you first start they enable you to carry on past a 1 hour lesson and you will benefit from the longer duration when learning to use the pedals and hand controls.
  • They also help in the final stages of preparation for test, enabling you to practice junctions, manoeuvres, dual carriageway driving and country lanes, a more all-round driving lesson.
How often should I have lessons?
The essential question is how regularly should I have lessons? Whatever your preferred lesson duration it is less important than keeping up regular practice. If you foresee a period where you will not be able to take lessons other than a regular holiday break, you should perhaps consider delaying the start of lessons until you can commit to a weekly lesson. Lesson formats are: 1, 1.5 or 2 hourly. I can advise what may be best for you, as from remote rural location a 1 hour lesson will not be adequate.
When will I be ready to go for the practical test?
According to the DVSA, most learners have on average 45 hours of professional training with an instructor and 22 hours private practice. This is rather misleading as it depends very much on the individual, their age and ability to learn, this timeframe will vary for absolutely every pupil. You are ready for the practical driving test when you can drive to a safe and responsible standard, when you can drive confidently and consistently without the help of your safe driving instructor. As you are getting closer, I will run you through a mock test to demonstrate what stage you are up to, I can even arrange for you to have a mock test with another instructor so it not only feels more realistic, but you also get a second opinion.
Where can I take my Practical Test?
You can take these in either Pool near Camborne and Bodmin.
What do I need to take to my Practical Test?

You will need your photo licence. You will also need the letter the DSA sent inviting you to your test and bring along your Theory Pass Certificate. Do not forget, no licence, no Test!